Summer cleaning is essential for the overall health and safety of every member of your household. It is the perfect opportunity to do away with all the allergens, dirt and dust that might have accumulated within your living spaces over the past few months. Your bedroom, in particular, should be given a lot of consideration because the presence of dirt and allergens in it will not just cost you your sleep, but also may make you suffer from a myriad of diseases. Here are a few tips to help you clean your bedroom properly during summer so that you can be assured of comfortable sleep every night-:
Learn to declutter like a ninja
Your bedroom is not a storehouse and it is important that you do away with all the extraneous stuff taking up unnecessary space in there. So many things inside the bedroom make is small and stuffy and may not inspire quality sleep at all. It is vital to determine what needs to remain and any other item must be thrown away or stored elsewhere. Here are some of the tips worth considering for decluttering the bedroom-:
- Have a donate or sell box – have a few bins or an extra closet dedicated to storing items you would wish to donate or sell. This is the place where you will be depositing items from your bedroom which you wish to donate or sell at a future date. Keeping clothes, shoes and other attires you no longer need in the bedroom is the number one reason why so many people have chocked bedrooms.
- Know how to refresh your mattress – if you want to get a good rest at night, then you have to learn how to keep your bed clean and refreshed. Most people usually neglect their mattresses when it comes to summer cleaning, not knowing that with use, the mattress usually accumulates a great deal of dust and dirt, and if not well taken care off, it may the number one cause of allergies in the bedroom. It doesn’t matter whether you have the best mattress from Nectar Mattress, but it is imperative to take good care of it if you want to get the most out of it every single night. You can choose to wash the mattress, or if it has a mattress topper, you can simply clean that or replace it with a new one.
Deal with the allergen zones within the bedroom
There are several places in the bedroom that are hardly cleaned and they are the hiding places for most of the allergens causing complications inside the bedroom. These places are the very good targets for summer cleaning because they are very good at hiding dirt, dust hair and other debris is known to cause allergies within the bedroom. Some of these places include areas behind the nightstands, behind the wardrobe, and under the bed. Some of the tips for dealing with the allergen zones within the bedroom include-:
- Cleaners all the corners inside the wardrobe as well as all the drawers
- Reducing the accumulation of allergens inside the bedroom by not allowing pets inside or sleeping with pets on your bed.
- Using the right cleaning solutions in the bedroom – homemade solutions featuring vinegar, baking soda, lime juice, and dish soap are the most preferred for such tasks.
- Always clean from top to bottom and never leave any section untouched
Learn how to clean mattresses and pillows the right way
Cleaning the mattresses and pillows should be an integral part during your summer cleaning of the bedroom. But most people usually freak out because they don’t know how best they should clean their mattresses and pillows. However, it is easy when you have the right methodologies and cleaning supplies.
One of the best and quickest way to refresh your mattress and pillows is to sprinkle a cup of baking soda and allow it to settle for a few hours. If you prefer, you can also add a few drops of essential oils to make the bedroom have a nice scent.
While you refresh the mattress and pillows, you should also strip and wash all your bedding using the hottest settings in your washer so that you can eliminate all the allergens and also kill the dust mites. This, however, should be done every week and not wait to do it just once when it is summer. Also when dealing with the pillows, it is important to check the manufacturer’s care guide so that you do the right thing and not damage them in the name of making them clean.
Discover the hidden sources of dirt in your bedroom
While you carry out your summer cleaning for the bedroom, it is also important to discover some of the places responsible for making your bedroom dirty. Places such as the window tracks are rarely cleaned and as such, they are the number one source of dirt on the windows. Consequently, they should be cleaned on a regular basis to avoid the buildup of dirt which may also spill inside the bedroom.
The curtains are also responsible for bringing in a lot of dirt into the bedroom. To stop the curtains from being the home to allergens, dirt, dust mites, mold or bacteria, it is important to clean them on a regular basis and replace them with fresh ones. It is also important to vacuum clean the areas directly beneath the curtains since most of the filth contained by the curtains will be deposited in such areas.
The houseplants you have in the bedroom may also be a source of dust, dirt, mold, and bacteria and it is important to ensure they are kept clean and healthy. You can spray their leaves with warm water or if they are too big, a dump piece of cloth to wipe them.
Finally, the fan and the ceiling may also accumulate dirt and dust over time, and those are not removed, they can lead to a myriad of respiratory complications to the users of that bedroom. Don’t wait to see dust or on the ceiling before you can clean. Keep it a habit of cleaning them on a regular basis so that you can always breathe fresh air inside the bedroom.