Stomach flu is a common problem in babies. Another name for stomach flu is gastroenteritis but it is not like influenza which is a respiratory disease. It is also famous by the name of stomach bug. Stomach flu is a type infection in digestive tract. This infection is caused by viruses such as rotavirus. In the word gastroenteritis gastro means gastric system and it is means inflammation which tells us inflammation in digestive tract.
After respiratory problems like cold gastroenteritis is the second most happening infection in babies. Due to this infection there is an inflammation of child’s stomach and digestive tract. One important thing that you should keep in mind is that dehydration is a big risk to gastroenteritis as due to vomiting and diarrhea your baby loses lots of fluids so you should keep him hydrated by giving him fluids. The two main stomach flu signs and symptoms in babies are vomiting and diarrhea. Some other symptoms are Nausea, poor appetite and low fever. This infection can spread from one individual to another but a good thing is that this infection is not so serious. Sometimes if your baby come in contact with a person who is affected by this virus or if your baby puts something in his mouth which is contaminated by this virus then your baby can also get this infection.
Stomach Flu Signs and Symptoms in Babies
Now we will explain you its symptoms which are Nausea, vomiting, low fever, stomachache, irritating mood, poor appetite, and abdominal cramps.
- Nausea: Nausea is an uncomfortable situation but it is not painful. It is not a disease but a symptom of many disorders like here it is a symptom of gastroenteritis. If you have a habit of lying down after eating then this also increases the feeling of nausea as due to lying down our gastric juices rises.
- Vomiting: Vomiting is the first symptom which is mostly seen in stomach flu. Vomiting means expelling or throwing out the contents of stomach through mouth. It is common in infections, food poising or overeating. Vomiting is usually not a serious problem but sometime it can be symptom of harmful disease.
- Poor appetite: Poor appetite refers to decrease in the feeling or desire to eat. Mostly due to problems in digestive tract can become a cause of poor appetite and stomach flu is also an infection of digestive tract. Your poor appetite will not get good until the virus will not go out of our body so consult to doctor and increase your liquid intake.
- Low fever: It is possible that your baby is having stomach flu but cannot tell you about the symptoms like nausea, stomach ache but having low is also a symptom of stomach flu which you can check very easily.
- Irritating mood: If your baby always remain happy or do not cry but you are seeing a change in its mood the consult to doctor or check for other stomach flu signs and symptoms in babies which we told you because the reason for this mood can be discomfort or stomach ache.
CONCLUSION: Stomach flu is the second most illness found in babies after respiratory illness. It is a spreading illness which is mostly found in babies and affects their digestive tract.